The Orange County Convention Center (OCCC) is the second largest convention center in North America and is owned and operated by Orange County, Florida. The facility was developed with the primary objective of promoting and hosting events and activities which generate economic benefits to Orange County and Central Florida. The Board of County Commissioners established the goals and objectives for the facility on October 23, 1980 and the complex opened for business in February 1983.
The Mission of the Orange County Convention Center is economic development. By hosting regional, national and international conventions, meetings and trade shows, the OCCC infuses the local economy with new money and expanding business opportunities.
The OCCC complex serves as a venue for corporate and association-owned events, as well as for privately-owned events and ticketed events made available to the general public. To remain competitive in the marketplace, the OCCC has established the following scheduling priorities to maximize the economic benefit of the OCCC facility and thereby retains the authority to negotiate the specific terms and conditions of its contracts. This policy provides a general outline of OCCC practices, but is not intended to limit the ability of the OCCC to book events.
The following are the Orange County Convention Center’s Scheduling Priorities:
First Priority Events are regional, national and international conventions, trade shows and conferences, which generate significant economic impact in the community. Qualifying factors considered to determine First Priority Events include the following:
- Peak hotel room utilization
- Expected attendance
- Exhibit hall square footage
- Economic impact
- Event time of year
- Event history
- Revenue and attendance performance
- Prestige of event in industry
Date requests for First Priority Events may be made as far in advance as the client deems necessary or appropriate based on OCCC booking guidelines. Upon confirmation by the client and acceptance by the OCCC, the OCCC will book the event on its calendar. OCCC approval of the event is contingent upon available dates, space, hotel room commitment and other support needs.
Second Priority Events are events with minimum room nights, which do not generate significant economic impact in the community. Examples include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Public or consumer events that are generally "ticketed" events
- Local corporate meetings
- Special events
- Entertainment events
- Sporting events
- Business meetings
- Events without hotel room nights
- Other community events which draw from or appeal to the general public
Guidelines for Second Priority Events
- Date requests for Second Priority Events or exhibit halls may not be contracted more than 12 months in advance.
- Requests for dates and space must be submitted in writing, stating the date(s) of the program, space required, times of use and the legal name of the Client or potential user.
- Requests to reserve meeting rooms will only be considered within six (6) months of the event date.
- Any lease for a Second Priority Event will not include "date protection" for a Client or event from other similar or identical competing events.
- If the OCCC determines that an event must be moved to new dates on the calendar to accomodate a First Priority Event, the OCCC will work with both Clients on a new schedule arrangement and all previous deposits and payments will be credited to the new date.
Second Priority Events which have not met at the OCCC previously will be asked to provide the following:
- Written request for dates and space required at OCCC and alternatives
- The history of the event elsewhere, including dates, net square footage, hotel room nights and attendance
- A completed OCCC Rental Application
A minimum deposit in the amount of 25% of the anticipated rental amount is required upon execution of a Second Priority Event lease agreement. The remaining 75% shall be due 45 days prior to the beginning of the lease term.
Subject to the priorities set forth above, the OCCC Executive Director is authorized to book and schedule business into the OCCC based upon best business practices.
Definition of Terms
- First Option Tentative - First option dates and space offered and held for client on a tentative basis with the first option right of refusal.
- Second Option Tentative - Dates and space are blocked as a second option to business that has been offered to another group on a first option tentative basis.
- Definite - Business confirmed as firm for city via Visit Orlando, hotel or client email.
- Contracted - Legally-binding agreement executed by both parties and received by OCCC Lease Administration.
The Convention Center has the authority to accept or reject any proposed booking at its sole discretion, may reject any proposed booking which it finds to be not in the best business interest of Orange County.
Effective: January 1, 2014 (rev. March 2018)